Navigate titles from navigation bar on the left / Navigasi judul melalui menu navigasi di sebelah kiri

The Asterisk War Side Story: Wings of Queenvail Volume 3 Afterword

It has been quite some time, this is Miyazaki Yuu. A considerable interval has passed since the previous volume, and for that I sincerely apologize. Also, please be aware that this afterword contains numerous spoilers for the story.

 

First of all, The Asterisk War Side Story: The Wings of Queenvail hereby reaches its successful conclusion. Thank you very much for accompanying Minato and the others on their challenge. The content may have felt somewhat packed in, but thanks to all of you, I believe I was able to accomplish everything I set out to do with this side story.

In terms of content, we followed Team Kaguya’s journey through the Gryps Festival from their very first match to their final battle in the quarterfinals. In particular, the last match against Team Helion ended up exceeding sixty pages in length, I must say, I worked quite hard on that one. Even in the main story’s Gryps Festival, I do not think there was ever a team battle with that much volume. To be honest, writing team battles is quite taxing for me as an author, but since I felt I might not have another opportunity to depict a battle like this, I went all in. ...Though originally, I had planned for it to be just over thirty pages.

Setting aside Minato, the protagonist, Volume One highlighted Nina’s defining moments, and Volume Two focused heavily on Chloe-related episodes, so in this third volume there are more scenes showcasing Yuzuhi and Sophia. I think Sophia, in particular, managed to steal quite a few good moments.

Now then, since this is the final volume, I thought I might include a bit of character commentary.

In truth, at the very earliest planning stage of the project, the protagonist was a character in the role that corresponds to the current Chloe.

That said, when I look back at the original proposal, I can see that even at that point the prototypes of the current members were already in place: a bright and cheerful knuckle-fighting girl who refers to herself as “boku,” a Yamato Nadeshiko-type who uses the Amagiri Shinmeiryuu of archery, a refined young lady who is Ernest’s younger sister and incapable of hurting others, and a cool-type girl who was being manipulated because she could not fully control her card-themed abilities. (Incidentally, at that earliest stage, Sophia was not a senior but a first-year junior.) As I refined the concept and decided to steer the work closer to a classic shounen manga style, I realized that a character in Chloe’s position would have difficulty taking on the kind of active role expected of a protagonist. Thus, the knuckle-fighting girl, who had the most protagonist-like personality, was promoted to lead, and so Minato was born.

Minato truly is a protagonist who moves in a very straightforward way. From an author’s perspective, she was a model child who caused no trouble and kept pressing forward. I have been told that the story is easier to follow than the main series, and that is thanks to Minato. Thank you, Minato. I am also most fond of her design; I particularly love the illustration from Volume One during the pajama party scene. The reason Genkuuryuu is based on taidou is simply my personal preference.

Chloe is the character whose settings changed the most when she was no longer the protagonist. That said, the core element of her being a Strega who uses transmission abilities was retained, so she continued to occupy a key position in the story. In battle she served as the commander, and in everyday scenes she worked hardest as the one providing explanations and commentary. She probably had the most lines by far. Thank you for your hard work. If possible, I would have liked to depict a slightly more unguarded side of her as well.

Yuzuhi is the only character whose settings remained almost entirely unchanged from the earliest planning stage. However, in Akane Shou’s manga adaptation, there were expressions where she seemed to suspect, or at least keep a wary eye on Chloe, and that feedback made me realize she does have a personality that reveals such sides. Given her abilities, she cannot easily display flashy or dynamic movements in battle, so I am glad that in this third volume I was able to let her shine properly.

As for everyone’s beloved Sophia-senpai, she was conceived with the concept of making her as extravagantly embellished as possible, and she turned out exactly that way. When I write her freely, she slips in moments of lovable incompetence at every opportunity, which leaves me both troubled and amused as an author. I am rather fond of the “It’s hooot!” scene myself. Also, since the story is told from Minato’s perspective, I omitted an explanation within the narrative, but during the final battle Sophia is half-unconscious, which allows her to use her true swordsmanship in its complete form. The sword techniques she normally displays are deliberately restrained so as not to harm others, and at the same time are consciously shaped by her to appear “brilliant and elegant”. In truth, even without thinking about it, Sophia can wield a sword that is inherently brilliant and elegant, but she herself is unaware of this. It is something like Ernest’s ferocious mode, except in a version she herself does not recognize. Because she is not consciously aware of it, even Chloe cannot transmit this state of swordsmanship.

Though understated, I believe Nina is the character who grew the most in this story. When I wrote the scene in Chapter Six of this volume where she talks with Chloe about friendship, I felt a kind of parental emotion welling up, thinking, “Ah, Nina can now properly joke around with her friends.” I had more combinations of her abilities in reserve, but unfortunately did not get to showcase them all. The naming may be rather straightforward for Asterisk, but I am quite fond of it nonetheless.

There are still many things I would like to mention, such as how Roverica was originally male in the early drafts, or how Violet managed to appear in the anime ahead of everyone else, but due to space constraints, I will stop here.

 

Now then, once again we were blessed with wonderful illustrations by okiura-san! Volume One featured the five girls centered on Minato, Volume Two featured the five centered on Yuzuhi and Sophia, and this third volume presents the five centered on Nina and Chloe. Even now, I find myself admiring that impeccable sense of design!

 

Lastly, many people have supported me in bringing this work to completion.

First, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Akane Shou-san, who, even though the serialization has ended, is the other parent of this side story; to my editor Mr. O; to everyone in the editorial department; to Mr. K at Kodansha, who oversaw the manga serialization; and to all the readers who have always supported us.

 

March 2019

Miyazaki Yuu

Read Also :-
Labels : #AsteriskWarSS_3 ,#Light Novel ,#The Asterisk War: Wings of Queenvail ,
Getting Info...

Posting Komentar